On a cold, wet winter day, you just can't beat a classic bowl of venison chili served with cornbread. Enough said.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1lb ground elk or whitetail venison
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes, drained
2 to 6 dashes of Tabasco (optional to add spice)
2 cups hot water
2 teaspoons salt (or salt to taste)
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup shredded Colby Jack
1. Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Sauté the onions for about 4 minutes or until they become softened and translucent.
2. Add in the garlic and sauté for an additional minute or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
3. Next, add in the meat and cook until browned. About 2 minutes.
4. Add the oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, Tabasco, hot water, and salt. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for at least an hour. Skim off the fat during cooking.
5. Garnish with sour cream and shredded Colby Jack cheese. Serve warm with fresh baked cornbread.